Back to the future
The day old MX is staring me in the face. I’m looking for the point of my Personal Narrative Article (PNA) to no avail. It’s late and I’m exhausted, but I’ve no choice. Flip, flip, flip. Hold that! Two headlines grab my attention. So I stretched a little to keep awake and brace myself to read on.
The first is about a research that shows tanning is an addiction. Ridiculous! Everything seems to be an addiction these days. From sex and alcohol to, now, eating and tanning. Addiction is like the perfect excuse to justify one’s inability to exert self-control. The next thing you know, procrastination and sleeping will be forms of addictions. When that happens, I’ll be the first in line to check myself in for a rehab. But I digress. The point is, it occurs to me that “addiction” is similar to the “devil”. Both terms are abstract. In the past, people tend to blame bad things, like mental illness, on the devil. But they were excused because knowledge was limited then.
The second article is about how more young couples are requesting two master bedrooms – his and hers, in their new houses. Health experts said that separate bedrooms for married people may prolong relationships. Hmm, how amusing. But it immediately reminds me of those medieval aristocratic couples. You see, it was the norm to have master and mistress bedchambers connected and/or separated, depend on how you see it, by dressing rooms.
Now, as disparate as these two news seem to be, both actually show that our lifestyle is going backwards instead of progressing. How so? They show that people’s behaviours and wants are reverting to age-old customs. They also regress to previous stages in life. The female’s fashion trends emphasize my point. Clothes’ designs used to be futuristic and novel. But now, the trend is to have the ‘playsuit and pinafore’ – the clothes toddlers and schoolgirls/housewife from a bygone era tend to wear. And just when I thought that there’s no more ‘classic’ style left to be inspired from, out come ye olde chain-strap handbag. Very classic. Very my grandma when she was young. Even Christina Aguilera is going “back to basics”.
The first is about a research that shows tanning is an addiction. Ridiculous! Everything seems to be an addiction these days. From sex and alcohol to, now, eating and tanning. Addiction is like the perfect excuse to justify one’s inability to exert self-control. The next thing you know, procrastination and sleeping will be forms of addictions. When that happens, I’ll be the first in line to check myself in for a rehab. But I digress. The point is, it occurs to me that “addiction” is similar to the “devil”. Both terms are abstract. In the past, people tend to blame bad things, like mental illness, on the devil. But they were excused because knowledge was limited then.
The second article is about how more young couples are requesting two master bedrooms – his and hers, in their new houses. Health experts said that separate bedrooms for married people may prolong relationships. Hmm, how amusing. But it immediately reminds me of those medieval aristocratic couples. You see, it was the norm to have master and mistress bedchambers connected and/or separated, depend on how you see it, by dressing rooms.
Now, as disparate as these two news seem to be, both actually show that our lifestyle is going backwards instead of progressing. How so? They show that people’s behaviours and wants are reverting to age-old customs. They also regress to previous stages in life. The female’s fashion trends emphasize my point. Clothes’ designs used to be futuristic and novel. But now, the trend is to have the ‘playsuit and pinafore’ – the clothes toddlers and schoolgirls/housewife from a bygone era tend to wear. And just when I thought that there’s no more ‘classic’ style left to be inspired from, out come ye olde chain-strap handbag. Very classic. Very my grandma when she was young. Even Christina Aguilera is going “back to basics”.
I wonder why. Why are everything going backwards now? Is it because at the heart of all these chaos we call life, we just yearn for simplicity? For those innocent times? For when ignorance is bliss? To unclutter the mess we have created? Or have we finally run out of steam? Of new ideas? Of new excuse? That we have to resort to regressing. Is it a good thing? A bad thing?
Between puzzling out these questions, I detect a common factor in the three issues. All of them are brought forward by the younger generations. ‘Youth is the future’ is not a new mantra. It has been used by Hitler. It has been the driving force behind the advertising industries. But if youth are bringing the past back, myself, a youth, shudder to think what the future will be like. Will we go back to the stone age? It seems so anyway. What with the more frequent road rage in the states that demonstrate unchecked tempers. How civilised we have become.
Maybe bringing the past back is not such a bad thing. At least then I wouldn’t have to worry about the future. It’s always so much easier to worry about what happened in the past because you know what had happened. With the future, you can’t be too sure.
Now that I have got a new PNA point, my basic instinct is to scrap the old one. At least I’m progressing. And now that I’m done, I’m ready for the age-old tradition of recharging one’s energy – sleeping. Before that, note to self: dig through nanna’s and mum’s old clothes this weekend. And to quote an old movie, “good night and good luck”.
The above is something that doesn't make the cut.It is a first draft which my tutor said was unsuitable for the type of article required.I'll admit that 1st and last paragraphs aren't exactly the most brilliant of my creation.But some people who had read this(including said tutor) found it to be quite humorous.So I'll let you decide for yourself.What do y'all think? Once again, if you find some errors, tell me which one.
Love, the colour purple.
1 comment:
hey kiki, sry to comment only now..i've always wanted to say.. I LIKE READING YOUR ENTRY! Its very readable!!!
Actually, more than just readable, its quite entertaining.
Guess the long wait for a new post was quite worth it. haha...
write somemore!!!! =)
Post a Comment